Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
|Welcome to Singapore Magic Circle Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.|
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:
Royal Road To Card Magic - Guide
Member No.: 10,046
Joined: 20-October 08
ROYAL ROAD TO CARD MAGIC - A Study Guide - Opie Houston
ROYAL ROAD TO CARD MAGIC - WEEKS 1 AND 2
1. Read the Preface and skim through the contents and whole book to get an idea of what a wonderful text this book is.....It is not just a beginner's primer; it is an advanced text.
NOTE: You should spend the first two weeks learning simply to handle a deck of cards, e.g., how to shuffle a deck of cards in a smooth manner.
2. Chapter I - Read all the instructions, with cards in hand, on how to do and use the Overhand Shuffle, through the false shuffles. DO NOT EVEN BOTHER about the "Tricks with the Overhand Shuffle" until you can smoothly execute the Overhand Shuffle and the Riffle Shuffle in Chapter II.
3. Chapter II - Read all the instructions, with cards in hand, on how to do and use the Riffle Shuffle, through the false shuffles. DO NOT EVEN BOTHER about the "Tricks with the Riffle Shuffle" until you can smoothly execute both the Overhand and Riffle Shuffles.
4. Learn and practice the tricks in Chapters I and II, only after you can handle a deck of cards.
NOTE: DO NOT CONTINUE THE LESSON PLANS UNTIL YOU HAVE MASTERED CHAPTERS I AND II.
ROYAL ROAD TO CARD MAGIC - WEEKS 3 AND 4
NOTE: If you have not mastered Chapters I and II, you might want to continue practicing material in them until you have done so....Also notice that the following assignments skip many of the chapters.
1. Read Chapter XV, The Hindu Shuffle and Other Controls. Master this shuffle and its uses.
2. Read Chapter XVI, The Classic Force. Master this technique and its uses.
At the end of four weeks, you should have a working knowledge of and be able to do the following items with at least some skill:
1. Chapter I - Demonstrate a mastery of the Overhand Shuffle, as follows:
a. Top card from top to bottom and back.
b. A rapid smooth run of 10 to 12 cards.
c. An injog shuffle control.
d. Overhand False Shuffle.
e. Two tricks from the chapter.
2. Chapter II - Demonstrate a mastery of the Riffle Shuffle, as follows:
a. Control top and bottom stocks of cards.
b. Smooth shuffles at a table and in the air.
c. Two tricks from the chapter.
3.Chapter XV - Demonstrate a mastery of the Hindu Shuffle and its related controls, as follows:
a. Control of single and stock of cards.
b. Hindu Force.
d. The Step.
f. "All Change Here
4. Chapter XVI - Demonstrate a mastery of the Classic Force, as follows:
a. One-Hand Force.
b. Bottom Force.
c. Slide-Out Force.
d. Double-Life Force.
e. Cut Force.
f. A couple of force tricks.
NOTE: If you have mastered the items in the exercise above, you are among a very small minority of card magicians, because therein lies the basics of almost all the remaining card tricks you will ever do. Proceed to Weeks 5 and 6 lesson plan when you are ready....
ROYAL ROAD TO CARD MAGIC - WEEKS 5 AND 6
1. Spend week 5 on Chapters III and XVII...Do not become frustrated with or hung up on the flourishes. Just play with them every day and they will come...But do work on the changes in Chapter XVII...The top change is deadly and its mastery will place you in the Card Man/Woman category faster than the cutesy flourishes...
2. Spend week 6 on Chapters IX, X, and XI...